This award is given to a student transition or early professional who excels in entomological extension.
View the list of frequently asked questions for all ECP Awards.
For questions about this award, email firstname.lastname@example.org
See the full list of winners
Nomination packages must be received by ESA headquarters by June 1.
The recipient will receive complimentary registration to the ESA Annual Meeting, $1,000 cash, and an award plaque.
The nominee must be a current ESA Student Transition or Early Professional (ECP) member. Eligible members can apply the year following their terminal degree (B.S., M.S. or PhD.) or within five years of degree completion. A Student member who has recently graduated in the year of nomination is considered a Student member through the end of the calendar year and therefore does not qualify for this award. The nominee may belong to any area of entomology, but must be practicing entomology.
*Due to COVID-19, the ESA Awards and Honors Committee has extended the terminal degree date requirement for this award from five to six years for 2022.
Nominations can be made by anyone. Please note there is a maximum of two self-nominations allowed per year. All nominators and nominees will be required to sign the professional conduct disclosure form. Nomination packages for this award must include:
1. CV-Related Items - Nominators must provide a CV which includes the below sections. For a full listing of what should be included in each of the sections click here.
- Section 1 - Background Information
- Section 4 - Extension/Outreach
- Section 5 - Service
2. Other Items -
- Extension statement written by the nominee, no longer than two pages.
- Two letters of nomination/recommendation that evaluate and appraise the nominee's. accomplishments, placing special emphasis on the work to be recognized by the award.
Electronic Submission Requirements
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically according to the following specifications (paper nominations will not be accepted):
- The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This includes letters of nomination or recommendation and publication lists.
- Letters of nomination and recommendation must be included in the electronic package. Printed letters sent in lieu of electronic versions will not be accepted.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF, TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
- Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point.
- The nomination site requires all documents to be uploaded individually.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the ECP Extension Award nomination website
Judging Process and Notification
Nominees will be judged by the ESA ECP Extension Award Judging Panel using the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
1. Contributions to the Field of Entomology(90 points total)
- Quality of contributions (25) (e.g. number and type(s) of program(s), workshops, extension talks, extension publications)
- Originality and creativity used to achieve the contributions (25)
- Scope and breadth of relevance of the contributions to science and society (25)
- Letters of support (15)
2. Supporting Information(10 points total)
- Participation and leadership in professional societies (10)
Any candidate nominated but not selected may be renominated no more than two times within the two-year period after his or her initial submission. Nomination packages will be retained for two years by the awards administrator. Nominators must send a letter of renomination to the awards administrator by the nomination deadline. Previously submitted documentation will be used for the evaluation process unless the nominator submits new or updated documents. The renomination email must contain this additional documentation. New or updated documents must follow the electronic submission requirements noted above.