Entomology Advocacy Week 2023 is August 14-18! #EntVocate23
Many ESA members already engage in outreach activities throughout the year. Entomology Advocacy Week is a concentrated effort to target policymakers with science that matters so that evidence-based decision-making becomes the norm at all levels of government.
Join our Entomology Advocacy Week 2023 Webinars!
- On Monday, August 14 at 1 pm EDT, we'll be talking about how and why to engage with your federal policymakers, as well as providing an overview about what's going on currently in Washington. More information and registration is available here.
- On Tuesday, August 15 at 1 pm EDT, we'll be talking about engagement and the state level and what kinds of information those legislators need from entomologists. More information and registration is available here.
- On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, take action: Contact your members of Congress to urge their support for the STEM workforce, innovation in agriculture, and vector-borne disease management and research. See more details on all ESA Action Alerts.
Other ways to get involved:
Review the Science Policy Webinar from Dr. Alleyne, which presented five ways that you can take action.
- Request a meeting with your Senator or Representative
- Write (or call) your lawmaker about an issue
- Write an op-ed for your local or national paper
- Get active on social media
- Build your brand - and your institution's
Also, be sure to read the papers in the special collection on scientists and science policy in the Annals of the Entomological Society of America.
Why the week August 14-18?
In addition to basing priorities on our ESA Advocacy Priorities, we're tying into some great outreach events that are already scheduled, like
- World Humanitarian Day (August 19, 2023)
- National Honeybee Day (August 19, 2023)
- World Mosquito Day (August 20, 2023)
- Congressional Recess and Campaigns (All of August)
Resources on Advocacy:
- Three articles on Entomology Today about advocacy.
- Talking points and communication tips
- ESA FY2024 funding priorities
- Get Involved - more tools and resources
Sign Up for ESA Advocacy Alerts
Be an advocate for entomology! In 2022, ESA launched new issue-specific advocacy alerts, enabling ESA members to easily connect with legislators and offer timely subject-matter expertise. Sign up now to receive ESA science-policy action alerts.