Completing your Application
- Ensure you have all documents (two letters of reference, resume) in digital format (e.g,. PDF, .DOC, .JPEG) ready to uploaded.
- Go to the account creation page and create a log-in. PLEASE NOTE: You might already have an account associated with your email address from previously purchasing a book, or other item; if you do the system will notify you and you can click here to get a password reset email sent to you.
- If this is your first time logging in, at the bottom of the page, you will see the text "Submit/Review My CIT Application" if you've logged in previously you will see a tile for the CIT application link. From there, follow the instructions within the application itself.
- Once your application is submitted and reviewed by a staff member, you will get a system generated email indicating that your application has been approved. From this date you have one year to take the exam and three years to pass it.
- Application includes first attempt at the exam
- Passing the exam makes the applicant a CIT until the end of the initial 1-year period (ex: if you pass the exam in January- September, your certification is valid until the end of that year, if you pass in October-December, it will be valid through the remainder of the year plus following year)
- Fee is $95 ($70 for ESA members)
Selecting a Proctor
- If you did not indicate on your application; select a proctor for your exam and –working together with your proctor–select a testing date and notify firstname.lastname@example.org.
- About one week prior to your exam, ESA will send examination instructions to your proctor.
Taking the Exam
- On the test date you'll take the exam. It is online and closed-book. You may bring a simple calculator (no smart phone apps or programmable calculators) and a sheet of writing paper with a pen or pencil. The paper must be remitted to your proctor at the end of the exam.
- The test will be given in sections and each section saves upon submission. Upon submitting the last section your score will display on your screen, though final verification of the scores is not complete until reviewed by the Chair of the Examination Committee. 75% is a passing score.
- If you passed, ESA will contact you and welcome you to the CIT program, including access to your digital credential. Renewals will be annual and will require CEUs, but not retesting.
- If you did not pass ESA will offer suggestions on how to improve your score for the next test date. If re-testing is required, the test must be taken no sooner than 30 days, but no more than 365 days later, or else re-application to the program may be required. There is no fee for retesting. Again, you must pass within three years of application acceptance. Email CIT@entsoc.org with your re-test date.
If you have any questions, reach out to the Certification Programs Manager: