If recent politics have proved nothing else, they've showcased the power of social media to influence policy. Use that to your advantage and tweet your support for (or against) various policies that intersect entomology. Here are some ideas to get you started. Add a picture from your research to personalize it. To find the social media handles for your representatives go to their website or use Twitter's list for the House and Senate. This year, we're encouraging targeted issues for each day of Entomology Advocacy Week. Tweet, Facebook or Instagram the messages below tagging your representatives in Federal and State government. Another resource for contacting your representatives is ESA’s How to Contact your Elected Officials.
Dates for messaging are suggested below - depending on your legislator's Twitter handles, you may need to edit to fit. You can share your message any day of the week or throughout the year! Be sure to add #Entvocate19 to your tweets and posts.
Aug 17 -- #pollinators, #pollination, #bees, #butterflies
- It’s national #honeybee day. Honey bees alone pollinate more than 90 crops in the U.S. #Congress should prioritize pollinator health research to combat food insecurity and promote sustainable agriculture. #Entvocate19 [insert your U.S. Senators’ and Representative’s Twitter handles]
- #Pollinators provide over $200 billion in economic value to global agriculture! #Congress should invest in pollinator health management tools to reduce stressors to pollinator populations and increase global food production. #Entvocate19 [insert your U.S. Senators’ and Representative’s Twitter handles]
- Colony Collapse Disorder is an existential threat to #honeybee populations. #Congress needs to engage researchers and stakeholders to find solutions to CCD! Thank you @RepHastingsFL & @RodneyDavis for co-chairing the Pollinator Protection Caucus #Entvocate19
- It is vital that [#Congress or name state legislature] work to protect America’s #pollinators by engaging with researchers and stakeholders to solve the challenges facing #bees and other pollinators. #Entvocate2019 [insert names of Federal or State Senators and Representatives Twitter handle].
Aug 20 -- #mosquito #dengue #malaria #WestNileVirus
- Its World Mosquito Day. #Malaria, #dengue, and #WestNileVirus impact millions of people worldwide and in the US. We need good mosquito management practices in [#name state]. Will you [insert state or local elected officials’ Twitter handles] make this a priority? #Entvocate19 https://bit.ly/2YQ8a5b
- Vector-borne diseases are some of the most preventable but @CDCgov says the # of cases spread by ticks & mosquitoes tripled from 2004-2016. Will [insert names of State and Federal Senators and Representatives Twitter handle] support management techniques? Evidence-based policy matters. #Entvocate19
- Today is World Mosquito Day. Time to focus on effective mosquito management and cures to the diseases they vector! Orgs are working together in the VBD Network. Will [insert names of State and Federal Senators and Representatives Twitter handle] be a part of the solution? #Entvocate19 www.entsoc.org/sci-pol/VBD-Network
- West Nile Virus is on the rise in the US. In 2018 the case count was 25% higher than 2008-2017. Support the TICK Act (S.1657 and H.R. 3073) and vector management. #Entvocate2019 [insert names of Senators and Member of Congress’s Twitter handle]
Aug 21 -- #biodiversity
- Biodiversity is threatened by habitat loss and #InvasiveSpecies. It is vital that [Congress or name state legislature] work to protect America’s #biodiversity by investing in the continued study of sustainable land use and improved management practices. #Entvocate2019 [insert names of Federal or State Senators and Representatives Twitter handle] https://bit.ly/2Z5WBpP
- #Insects comprise 80% of the world’s living animals. Habitat loss, #ClimateChange, and #InvasiveSpecies endanger many vital species. [Congress or name state legislature] should act to support habitat protection and international collaboration to protect #Biodiversity. #Entvocate2019 @EntsocAmerica [insert names of Senators and Member of Congress’s Twitter handle]
- Implementing a focus on insect #biodiversity is vital in restoring the rangelands of iconic American species. Congress should invest in #biodiversity research not only to protect invertebrates but for the survival of other species and ecosystems. #Entvocate2019 @EntsocAmerica [insert names of Senators and Member of Congress’s Twitter handle]
Aug 22 -- #ticks #Lyme #LymeDisease
- #LymeDisease is just one of 16 human diseases spread by #ticks in the U.S. An estimated 300,000 cases each year cost roughly $1B annually. Will [insert names of Senators and Member of Congress’s Twitter handle] support or co-sponsor the TICK Act, S.1657 and H.R. 3073? #Entvocate19 https://bit.ly/33xMXMe
- We have more #ticks in more places in the U.S. than ever before. We urgently need a national strategy using Integrated Tick Management to protect public health. Will [insert Members of Congress’s Twitter handles] support or co-sponsor the TICK Act, S.1657 and H.R. 3073? #Entvocate19
Aug 23 -- #ClimateChange
- #ClimateChange is real and threatens biodiversity. Warming temps alter habitats and change the distributions of pest species. Will [insert your Senators’ Twitter handle] support establishment of a Climate Security Advisory Panel?
- Insects are vital to ecosystems, but many species are undergoing declines driven in part by #ClimateChange. I encourage [insert your Senators’ Twitter handle] to support establishment of a Climate Security Advisory Panel
- #ClimateChange is real and can mean more #ticks and other pests. Evidence-based decision making by Congress is essential. https://bit.ly/2HFgfl5
Aug 24 -- #InvasiveSpecies #IPM
- Early Detection and Rapid Response is key to preventing the establishment of #InvasiveSpecies. Thank you @RepThompson and @RepStefanik for leading Congress in this critical issue. I encourage [insert House Member of Congress’s Twitter handle] to join the House Invasive Species Caucus. #Entvocate2019
- #InvasiveSpecies cost the U.S. billions of $$ every year, yet most Members of Congress don’t hear from their constituents about this until it’s too late to do anything. I encourage [insert Member of Congress’s Twitter handle] to join the House Invasive Species Caucus. #Entvocate2019