This award from the Systematics, Evolution & Biodiversity Section (SysEB) is named in honor of Dr. Edith M. Patch, ESA’s first woman president. It recognizes outstanding research by individuals who have recently completed a master's thesis in arthropod morphology, systematics, taxonomy, or evolution. This award consists of a plaque and cash award. The recipient is presented with the award at the SysEB Section Meeting during the ESA Annual Meeting.
For questions about this award, please contact the current Past President of the SysEB Section, Becky Simmons.
Candidates must be ESA members and must have completed a master's level thesis in arthropod morphology, systematics, taxonomy, or evolution at a recognized college or university within two calendar years prior to the nomination submission deadline.
Nominations may be made by anyone, although self-nominations are encouraged. Nomination packages must include the following:
- One-page letter of nomination that includes a narrative by the candidate describing eligibility credentials
- Curriculum Vitae
- Excerpts from the student's research thesis (or a PDF of the entire work if desired), along with a scanned copy of approval page, signature page, or similar signed document by a college official or advisor
- Two confidential letters of recommendation (as a pdf file preferred) from faculty members who can comment critically on the aspects of creativity and innovation of the thesis or dissertation and its overall contribution and impact. These letters as a pdf file should be sent to the current Past President of the SysEB Section, Becky Simmons or nominees can request letters of recommendation with the application process.
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 80 points. Applications must score a minimum of 65 points in order to be considered for the award.
- Candidate (40 points total)
- Honors, awards, achievements and recognition (10)
- Recommendations of professors, advisors, etc. (10)
- Grantsmanship (10)
- Publications (10)
- Criteria (40 points total)
- Creativity and innovation of thesis or dissertation (20)
- Contribution to morphology (20)
All nomination packages must be submitted electronically to the Systematics, Evolution, and Biodiversity Award Nomination website according to the following specifications:
- Page Limits – The entire nomination package must not exceed 20 pages total. This includes letters of nomination and evaluation, and publication lists but not the work itself. Packages over 20 pages will not be considered. This includes the letter of nomination, CV, and signed approval page, but not the thesis/dissertation excerpts or the entire work itself. Name the file with the nominees full name in format "last_name, first_name".
- Letters of recommendation may be included in the package or submitted anonymously via e-mail electronically to Past President of SysEB Section.
- Only the following file formats will be accepted: PDF (Adobe Portable Document Format), RTF (Rich Text Format), TIF graphic files, or JPG graphic files. Files created on either PC or Mac platforms will be accepted. Please make sure scanned images can be clearly read on a computer screen.
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the Award Website by June 1, 2022. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format.