The Kenneth and Barbara Starks Plant Resistance to Insects Graduate Student Award, administered and presented by P-IE Section, recognizes innovative research by a graduate student in entomology or plant breeding/genetics. The award was established by an endowment from donations by Kenneth J. and Barbara Starks and additional donors. Presented annually during the Monday afternoon P-IE Networking Session during the ESA Annual Meeting, the award consists of a plaque, an award of $500, and a waiver of registration from P-IE for attending the ESA Annual Meeting. The recipient is encouraged to present research results at an ESA meeting.
Each nominee must be a graduate student in entomology or plant breeding/genetics whose innovative research contributes significantly to knowledge of plant resistance to insects. The nominee must be a candidate for a master's or doctoral degree at an accredited university. The nominee must be an ESA and P-IE Section member.
Nomination packages must include the following:
- A letter of nomination from the student’s advisor (maximum 2 pages)
- A statement from the nominee that includes the title of the research, duration, and background information concerning the significance of the research to the field of plant resistance to insects (maximum 2 pages)
- A CV or resume
- One letter of support from a person familiar with the nominee’s qualifications (maximum 2 pages)
The nominating faculty member should submit the application package via the P-IE Award Nomination website. Only PDF files will be accepted. Font size for text may not be smaller than 10 point. Supporting image files should be embedded into the document and should be of sufficient resolution for easy viewing.
Nominees will be judged using the following criteria for a total of 45 points:
- Candidate (15 points total)
- Student’s qualifications (5)
- Letters of nomination and support (10)
- Proposed Research (30 points total)
- Contribution (10)
- Creativity and innovation (10)
- National impact (10)
View the list of those who have previously received this award.
Nomination packages must be submitted online via the P-IE Kenneth and Barbara Starks Plant Resistance to Insects Graduate Student Award Nomination website by June 1 annually. This deadline refers to receipt by the awards administrator of a complete package in a readable format.